Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Vacay Anyone?


I finally figured out how to do it! Jacob and Jaden have too many toys, but every time I even hint that maybe someone else could use some of their toys and that it would be nice if we shared, Jacob would panic and say, "No, mommy!! I would miss them all so very much!" Today he wanted to look at family picture albums and when we were looking at last spring's family vacation he commented on how much fun he had on vacation and how he would like to go again and that "everyone in the entire world has to go to Seaworld and see Shamu. Everyone needs the opportunity (and yes, my 4-year old is still routinely using that word) to get splashed by Shamu." It just hit me. I said, "Hey Jake, let's go play in your room." So we headed upstairs and started to play. Now, every toy is out, every bucket has been dumped, the dress ups are scattered, the play food/kitchen box got stepped on and broken, there are a gazillion hot wheels and assorted other cars hiding under dress ups just waiting to get stepped on, plastic dinos competing for floor space with old McDonald's toys, etc. You get the idea. I told him that some of his toys would love a vacation. We started to divide things up into 3 groups. "Things I would miss too much if it went on vacation", "Things that can go on a little vacation" and "Things that can go on a forever vacation". He was so excited to be sending things on vacations, that he was OK to let go of the old happy meal toys and the cars with wobbly wheels. He let me put a few of the toys that I know he really likes, but only occasionally plays with, up in the top of his closet for a time out vacation. In 2 months when they come back I know they will be front runner favorites again. We gave 6 grocery sacks full of toys to Goodwill for "forever vacations" (not to mention the 2 sacks of toys not fit to pass on that got dumped!) The result? A clean bedroom with enough floor space to hold a hot wheel derby in which Jacob's favorite blue car took first place. I'm so excited!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you love cleaning out the 'stuff' that makes cleaning so hard? We dejunked like crazy while Cam was deployed last year, and I am still noticing how much easier it is to keep things picked up and put away...everywhere but my room.

Keep-N-Touch said...

WOW! That is such a great idea! I sent the YW cell phones on "vacation" but never thought to send our toys... I will try that because Melissa is in denial about other children not having toys!

April said...

Great idea! I think we'll try that. :)

My Blog List

Followers