Thursday, January 8, 2009

My poor blue baby!!


Well, Jaden has taken a page out of the Jacob book. Monday afternoon was crazy. The big kids hit the door at 330 and chaos took over. The first day back from Christmas break and we were sadly out of practice with our routine. While trying to get homework done, both the little boys continued to make a nuisance of themselves, causing interruption and hence preteen angst from their sister. I finally said, "hey guys who wants to watch a movie?" Jake and Jaden settled down in front of "Kung Fu Panda" and I thought Jaden might actually fall asleep sitting there as he had refused to nap earlier. After a while of blessedly uninterrupted homework time, Ethan finished his work and then left to go play with his friend, Ben. Kaylee continued working on her excessive amount of 4th grade homework, and it slowly dawned on me that I hadn't heard Jaden in a while. My first thought was oh, he must have fallen asleep, but it keep bugging me and so I hollered to Jake, "Is Jaden in the TV room with you" "Yes, mommy" OK, back to homework. A few minutes later it was bothering me again, so I called Jake into the kitchen and asked him "Are you sure Jaden is watching the movie with you?" and he said "yes, mommy, he's right there" OK. Another few minutes pass and the feelings back. All of a sudden it hits me, duh, prompting, move your bum!! I jump up and run to the family room. Sure enough no Jaden. "where's Jaden at Jake?" The standard "I don't know"was his answer. Great. I call Jaden's name again and again as I go searching the house. I was thinking that I'd find him crashed laying on his bedroom floor or in his brother's closet passed out, but the more I looked, the more the panic took over. He wasn't in the house!! I ran to the backyard. He loves the backyard and the trampoline. That's where he'll be... in the cold... in a t-shirt and a diaper (if he hasn't stripped out of those as well as he did his pants, socks, and shoes earlier!). Nothing. Can't hear him, can't see him. I run back in the house yelling for Kaylee to help me look everywhere for Jaden. We search the house again. I check the front yard and the neighbors front yards: no Jaden! Under the beds, in the closets: no Jaden!! Under the sinks, behind the couch: no Jaden!!! I am sobbing by this time and so scared. I look in the backyard again and still nothing so I turn to back into the house to call the police and the neighbors and I just happened to look over the fence and through the windshield of my van. There sits Jaden, in the van, having a meltdown crying fit in the van. As close as we can figure, he followed Ethan out the door when he left and opened the van door (it's a power door), climbed in and shut the door. He had fun turning on all the reading/map lights and who knows what else, before climbing into his car seat and buckling the chest buckle. One problem. He can buckle, but not unbuckle the car seat!! So there he was, trapped! I ran over and opened the door and he was shivering and crying his little heart out! As soon as I had him free of the seat, he wrapped his little arms around my neck and grabbed a hold of my hair in back and held on for dear life. I brought him in the house and sat on the rocking chair bundled him up in blankets and we both had a good long cry.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Stacy I think that tops the time I lost Ethan and Alex in Germany. I know your fear.
Jenn

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Stacy,I have to say that you have the best stories...or at least you will in about 15 years when they're all pretty much grown and you don't have to stress about their every minute anymore. Life is certainly not boring!

Unknown said...

Those pictures you sent are too cute! I may have to try the whole sheet draping technique and get Jason up there...his studio portraits aren't smiley at all.

Keep-N-Touch said...

I was ready to cry just reading your story! That is so scary! Glad everything turned out alright :)

My Blog List

Followers