Friday, June 8, 2007

bad boys and bugs

Yesterday, mom and I took all four kids shopping. At the second to last store that we needed to go to, they were really good so Grandma told them that they could have these little "bug catcher kits". It consists of a net, 2 little vials with magnifying lids and plastic tweezers. The boys each got one and Kaylee got a little butterfly wind chime. Then we got to the last store. Jake made it down the first 3 isles, fussing, whining and being stubborn and three. Hit the fourth isle and he hit meltdown mode. I carried him screaming and crying in one arm and Jaden in the other all the way up to the front of the store and out the door to the van where we waited for grandma and the other 2 kids to finish the errand. Today, he was whining and fussing and I told him to go outside and catch some bugs with his new bug catcher. He asked where bugs lived and I told him to go out and look by the tree in the backyard. "Bugs live in trees?" he asked. "Um... well, some live by trees and some live in trees" OK, and he ran off outside. He ran right up to the tree. Held his net out and looked up at the tree and started calling the bugs. "Bugs! Bugs! Where are you bugs! Come here, bugs!" We about died laughing. Tonight we babysat ALL the other Airzona cousins. Jessie, Trevor, Aubree, TJ and Ben. Plus our four so it was a packed house. The oldest ones and Jake were supposed to be taking turns on the trampoline. I was inside with Aubree, TJ, and Jaden (Ben hadn't arrived yet), when Kaylee comes running in and says that the net on the trampoline fell down. I head out the door to see what she is talking about and I hear Jake SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. I ran over and here he comes, blood pouring down his face. After I got him calmed down, iced his lip to stop the bleeding and got him cleaned up, I started interrogating the kids to figure out what happened. I finally got a good look at the trampoline too. The safety net is more than half off. I finally pieced together what had happened. Instead of the rule of only 2 people at a time on the tramp, they had all 5 of them up there. Jessie who is 10, Trevor 7, Kaylee 8, Ethan 6, and Jake 3 were all up there at the same time. They were playing "crack the whip" and flinging the person on the outside around on the tramp. Evidently, they fell as they were swinging Jake around and all 5 hit the net at the same time. It isn't made to support that much weight at one time. Down came the net, over the side went Jake. We are very lucky that a busted lip and scrapped hands are his only injuries. The trampoline is really tall, taller than Jake is. He could have easily broken bones or hit his head. Needless to say they are grounded from the trampoline for what could very well be forever.

1 comment:

bryan said...

I guess no matter how much you spend to get a nice trampoline, they are never safe. I spoke with the Boss today and gave my opinion. I am thinking of changing my opinion and taking the thing down until we move and trying it again there. We'll see. I'm not the one who has to deal with them - since I physically can't.

My Blog List

Followers