Friday, June 1, 2007

Summer's here!

Well, school is officially over. Yesterday was Kaylee and Ethan's last day of school. Ethan had only a 1/2 day and when I picked him up at 1230, he was crying. He didn't want school to be over. He has been really excited about going on to first grade and changing rooms at his school, but I think he got scared about yet another change, and he said that he doesn't want to change after all. He wants to stay in Miss Nikki's and Miss Megan's and Miss Courtney's class. He even went so far to point out that Tia, a girl in his class, was 7 and still went to Miss Nikki's class. I didn't point out to him that Tia has Down Syndrome and has taken an extra year of Kindergarten to master the basics enough to move on. When I went back at 330 to get Kaylee, I heard much of the same thing. As i was pulling away from the school, I yelled "yeah, its summer!!" I expected to hear "yes! Yeah!" and whoops and hollers from the back and what I got was "awwwww!" in stereo. Ethan perked up today when I told him at 9am this morning to go over and see if Chris could play. He looked at me and said "does Chris have summer break too!!??!" Like it was amazing. It never occurred to him that his friends wouldn't have school now either! I guess I am reassured that my kids like their school! Tonight was pack night for our cub scout pack that I am involved with. For the first time, the kids got to go with me. They had a good time. The theme was "cubs and bugs" and I was able to take a giant millipedes and a bunch of young millipedes to show them. I remember studying millipedes back in college and I really had to work to drag up the info that I learned back then. The boys loved it! They got to hold the bugs and they got to ask questions. It was great. Kaylee was the hot shot of the group. The giant millipede, named Millie of course, comes from her class at school. As Miss Sherrie put it "of course you can borrow her, Millie would love to go on a field trip!" Kaylee is used to handling and caring for Millie and so when these boys were grossed out and daring each other to "touch it, just touch it with one finger" Kaylee just reaches in and scoops Millie up and handles her like it's no big deal. Those boys jaws hit the floor. They couldn't believe that a girl could do something like that! Jakey will still not touch or hold what he calls the "creatures". He had a good time at pack night for a whole other reason. He ran and ran and ran around in circles like the energizer bunny the whole hour and a half. All three kids just passed out as soon as their heads hit the pillows tonight.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers